Saturday, May 21, 2011

Z is for Zombies

As irritating as a zombie can be, you really have to admire their tenacity. I have found that the average zombie has more persistence than myself, therefore, I could probably learn a thing or two from the walking dead. They are so passionate about fulfilling their needs and not being deterred along the way. The word zeal practically describes a zombie to a tee. 
zeal: n. eager interest, ardent endeavor; fervor.
Of course it does leave out the drooling, the gaping hole in the chest, and the absent look in their soulless eyes. But, other than that, it grabs the crux of that which we should fear in a zombie.  They see what they want (or who they want), and they go after it (him). They stay on task. 

I need that in my life. I need that "stick-to-it-ness" when dealing with my household, my writing, even my faith. I can become distracted by so many things that my time is wasted, and before too long, I feel less engaged in my own life. There have been times that I have heard people say that they "felt like a zombie when staring at Facebook". And, while I understand and empathize with the sentiment that they are trying to communicate--I don't think that is fair to zombies. Based on my dealings with zombies, that is not the nature of a zombie. Zombies deserve to be acknowledged for their painstaking persistence. Zombies wouldn't be on Facebook at 11:27 PM. Nope, they would be outside your window, trying to scratch their way in, hoping for a midnight snack.

I can only hope that if I ever become a zombie, I will use my new nature to make the world a better place. I hope that I will hone in on my new obsessive nature and find ways to improve the world for other zombies. Perhaps I would start challenges for zombies...
"Eat a human with a different name every day for 26 days --starting with the letter A and ending with Z."

Naw...it's been done.
By the way, click here to learn Rule #32. And then live by it.

And, check out my friend, Shauna's blog TODAY...hmmm...something is happening today...and it's not the rapture.
Also this. These are 
the two best zombie movies ever