Friday, May 20, 2011

Y is for Yo-Yo

Things couldn't be better. My marriage is healthy, filled with laughter and communication. I am fulfilling my role as a wife with ease and my husband enjoys "hanging out with me". God has blessed me with a beautiful daughter, and we are working together to plan her wedding--which is coming so soon, we can almost touch it! My eldest son has been accepted to begin studies at a Christian University, and next week he is being honored for his academic achievements in his college work thus far. My youngest son has his license to drive and was able to drive himself to school for the first time this morning. He is handsome and fun, and people tell me constantly how much they enjoy him--he's the life of the party!

Things couldn't be worse. My husband and are struggling to communicate about the simplest things happening in our household. He is busy with work and with school and when he has time for me--I feel like blogging. My daughter is frustrated with me because my stress level is affecting the time that we spend together to put the finishing touches on her wedding--which is coming much too quickly! My eldest son is trying to juggle school, his job and finishing his fundraising for his upcoming Missions trip to Africa and anything I try to do to help is causing more friction in our relationship. Last night, my youngest son decided, at the spur of the moment, to make a "singing toast" to his coach at the High School Sports banquet, and I found myself sneaking out of the room to avoid looks from the parents who did not enjoy his humor. Did he ruin their party?

The string never moves, but the spool goes up and then down. I want to make it stop. I could learn to live with where ever it landed, but this up and then down is making me dizzy. When up at the top, I know I can make it, but when spiraling down--I become certain that this is the end. Surely the string will now break and I will fall to the floor. The spool will detach and I will roll away. Landing perhaps under the fridge. But, alas, the string doesn't break and I am pulled spinning back up. 

Oh, to become something else, other than this. To become a lamp or a table, what a joy it would be to stay in one place. But, the Hand at the top has made me this way, so I have to learn to trust him and not the lies in my head. The answer is easy, yet it is a trial everyday. Keep the string tied to the hand and then trust in the string. It will not break, I will not roll away. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5