Wednesday, May 18, 2011

W is for Words With Friends

I've discovered that I cherish this game, this Words With Friends game that I play. It's not the computer Scrabble game--the app for my phone. It's this blogging, this twittering. This game on Facebook that we play. We engage one another with our words. Our words become the toys that we play with while we socialize--and I adore it. We are using our words to encourage, inspire, influence and amuse, and when I consider the embracing of these words, I believe that I was born "for such a time as this". 

I've been a journal-er for most of my life. Quietly, in my room, on my bed, writing out words and turning them into thoughts. Taking a journal and dedicating it to prayer, I've allowed the Lord to lead my words to a place to transform my heart. But, it was always just me. My thoughts were exposed to no other, a secret they remained~then suddenly, my new normal to "say" them aloud. Tossing out thoughts into cyberspace has become part of how people "see" me, a part of how I've transformed. (Like it or not ;)

It's a strange time that we live in, this internet instance. I've got people in Maine and Malaysia who know more about me than the lady down the street. Our words are connecting us to people of like mind, heart and spirit. These powerful, wonderful words. And, then as I ponder these Words With Friends, I think of the truest friendships I have, and I am not surprised that they have been formed while experiencing "Word" with friends. 
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14
I am blessed to have friendships that are built around our relationship with Christ. It is no surprise that these are the people I cherish so deeply; I call them my family. There is something transforming that happens when we spend time with other people exploring the nature of God, praying to Him in the name of his Son. Pure relationships, built on trust, develop and we are not left void from our time investing in them. I have loved being a part of relationships that were formed in the workplace or out on the Little League field, but it's this adding of God's Word that takes my breath away. It's like playing a 316 point word on the Scrabble board.

This challenge I issued to myself several weeks ago, this challenge to discover what to do when the words are hard to find, has opened my eyes to so many things about myself. But, among the greatest is this: The time that I spend in the presence of the Lord has the greatest power to transform my mind and influence my writing. There is no "writers block" that the power of the Lord cannot break through. If the Lord wants to use my words, He will always help me find a way.
Now, off for the rest of my day, which--if you friend me or follow me, I am certain you will "hear" about.