Tuesday, May 10, 2011

O is for Ordinary

1984 ~ I am a starving actress (well, at least until I get home to my Parent's kitchen, where I will make a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese). I am attending the prestigious American Academy of Dramatic Arts. My highlight of the year comes when I have a semi-private acting session/lesson with William Devane to prepare for a role that I will play opposite his son. Later when he meets my Mother at the stage production, he tells her, "She's got what it takes. Some people don't, but she does."
I am not ordinary. I am special, unique.

1994 ~ I have just given birth to my 4th child and my eldest has yet to start Kindergarten. He is 10 months younger than his sibling before him. People bring flowers and meals, and make quite a fuss about us having four children. A mother of 3 asks me kindly, "Did you always want a large family?" I am a little surprised, though she means me no harm. And I think to myself--'That's only one more than what you have'. Then she tells me that I am brave, that she could never have had so many young children.
I am not ordinary. I am special, unique.

2004 ~ My children are in school all day. I drive a minivan and pick them up after school each day. I sit with them to do math homework, which is getting too hard for me. We attend church on Sundays. We watch American Idol. I begin to believe that this is the sum of my life. I will never win an Academy Award. The boy that I dated while attending the American Academy is now famous. Since living through the death of my daughter, I have just the three children to raise. The empty space looms large. 
I am ordinary. I am not special, I am common.

Sadly, I listen to these lies, and many others just like them, for too long. I believe that my life is colorless and bland. Depression, which has been a battle for years, begins to call out to me--this damn plague knows my name all too well. The screech is unbearable.

Then, miraculously, the Spirit whispers. And the whisper is clear, so I welcome its pitch. I am not common at all. There is an adventure in this ordinary life that I lead. Every life is full of adventures, I've just been asleep. The extraordinary life is not lived by only the exceptional.   
Very few people will live the extraordinary life, but God calls every person to live their ordinary life~extraordinarily.  
So, I wonder, how do I find it. Where is the amazing life that I'm living?  Where did I leave it?

Then one morning, while reading my Bible, the amazing adventure appears. The adventure shows up when I remember a little butterfly. Soon after that, I see a spider in my bathroom. It begins to make sense, I found the adventure. It was here all along, just clouded by distraction. 

2011 ~ I am not ordinary. I am special, unique. And, in spite of what you might think, you are too.

My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king;
my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer. 
You are the most excellent of men and your lips have been anointed with grace,
since God has blessed you forever. 
Gird your sword on your side, you mighty one;
clothe yourself with splendor and majesty. 
In your majesty ride forth victoriously in the cause of truth, humility and justice;
let your right hand achieve awesome deeds.
Psalm 45:1-4 



Random Fact: During the summer of 1977, I saw William Devane in The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training 9 times {IN THEATERS}. The only movies I have seen more {IN THEATERS}  were 11 times for Warren Beatty's 1978 classic Heaven Can Wait and 13 times for Dustin Hoffman's 1979 heart breaker Kramer vs. Kramer.

Also this:
Have an Ordinary Adventure today!