Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why I Am Not God - Reason #247

photo credit to http://flic.kr/p/4oLDMs
I like to halfheartedly tease my daughter and tell her that she suffers from a co-dependent disorder. Her desire to be around people has always been strong. Since her first after church play date, when she was 3 and half, she learned quickly that having a friend around was better than not. But, being that I am much more introverted than she, I see a world of possibly in what is to be discovered in one's time alone. And, naturally, being that I am the parent, when I notice the small flaws in my children, I want to help them over come.

She takes my teasing, perhaps, because she is fully aware that her Mother has issues of her own, one of which being that this Mother doesn't have the relaxed social skills that her Daughter possesses. She knows that I am the one who has the problem with intimacy in friendships. She is comfortable doing whatever it is that she intended, with any friend who wants to join her, whereas, I am weary at inviting someone to join me, because they may not really want to come along, or what if the conversation begins to lag, or what if aliens attack and we are stuck in an elevator for 12 days and all we have to eat are orange flavored tic-tacs.
So, she looks at my life and doesn't always understand how I can be so comfortable doing things alone, and I look at her life and DECIDE that she needs to be more independent. I make a judgement and a decision about her lifestyle, because even though she is a grown, married woman--I am her Mother, and I know what is best

Less than a year ago, she booked a flight to Colorado to be a bridesmaid in the wedding of one her lifelong friends. I was so proud of her for making this trip on her own. She had traveled alone before to see this same friend in Florida, but that was so long ago--and I was feeling like she needed to make some more strides in her independence. Well, the night before she was to leave for the airport a series of text messages revealed that not only would she be on the same flight as some other friends who were also traveling for the wedding...but she was sitting in the row just behind them! I had to shake my head, and then humbly offer up praise to One who was obviously taking care of my little girl.

The Jurors ~ just last month...
Well, this week, God, once again, reminded me, that I am not He and that He will continue to work in her life as He pleases. My daughter was married just one month ago, and so her mail is still trying to find her, by way of our mailbox. She received a summons for Jury Duty, which is to be served in the local courthouse, building 15 on August 1st. This is her first time to be on Jury Duty. I looked at the letter and thought, "She's going to have to do this alone. She can't take a friend to this one." Well, within seconds, my mind was a little confused by the twin envelope in the mailbox. Another call for Jury Duty...this one for her Dad. He has been called to the same local courthouse, building 15 on August 1st. 

Well, what do you know? I am ever so gently reminded that God's plans are not always as mine. He knows what she needs and His timing is perfect. The best I can do is continue to humbly offer praise for the way He takes care of my little girl. 

O Lord, You are my God;
I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name;
For You have worked wonders,

Plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness.
Isaiah 25:1 
The Jurors...just moments ago ;-)
 
Linking today for Thought Provoking Thursdays with somegirlswebsite.com!